Saturday, January 18, 2014

THANK YOU!

Look who I found at mile 25 of the marathon.
I wanted to express my gratitude to everyone who helped provide me with encouragement in running the Dopey Challenge and who helped provide financial support to Give Kids The World. Collectively we've raised close to $1,000 - almost double my initial goal, and I was able to complete the 48.6 miles in the upright position, with a smile on my face, and wanting to do it again!

I was graciously invited to a pre-race dinner and tour of Give Kids The World. After receiving a huge grant from a major hotel chain, they are in the process of completely renovating the 140 guest villas where the families of kids with life-threatening illness stay.

Look at all the bling!
I was so moved by talking with some of the alumni Wish families who had stayed there in the past. I was frequently brought to tears as I heard what an important impact spending a week at Give Kids The World Village had on their families. It gave them a week free from hospital staff and reminders of illness. It provided the magical experience of  having a wish come true.

On Friday, January 24th, the Extreme Village Makeover will be featured on Good Morning America. I hope you'll tune in or DVR it and see for yourself the huge improvements going on there.

Actual size.
After spending time at GKTW I knew that I had a massive reservoir of inspiration to draw from to help me cross the finish line Sunday. There was no way I wasn't finishing the marathon strong! I had an incredible experience personally and together we made a meaningful impact on these kids' lives.

As I already stated, your support and encouragement is overwhelming. Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment