Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Appeal

In less than a week, I’ll be running the Dopey Challenge at Walt Disney World in Orlando. It consists of running four races in four days: a 5k, 10k, Half Marathon and Full Marathon. That’s 48.6 miles, including my first marathon.  Dopey is probably an understatement.

I spent all of 2013 training for this unique event, logging nearly 800 miles in the process. In fulfilling one of my dreams, I’m also hoping to help make the dreams of some special kids come true.

I’m raising money for Give Kids The World, a 70-acre, nonprofit "storybook" resort in Orlando, where children with life-threatening illnesses and their families are treated to weeklong, cost-free fantasy vacations. It was founded about 30 years ago by an Auschwitz survivor who wanted to build a place for Make-A-Wish kids and their families to stay. This short video demonstrates the impact Give Kids The World is making.



I hope you’ll consider sponsoring me for this very worthwhile cause. It costs ahout $5,000 per week to host a family at Give Kids The World. My goal is to raise $500 by the time I cross the finish line on Sunday, January 12th. You might consider the following levels, but I’m so very grateful for a donation of any amount to help these kids and their families: 
  •  A dollar per mile = $50
  •  $0.50 per mile = $25
  •  A quarter per mile = $12
  •  A dime per mile = $5
Click here to give through a simple and secure website. If you prefer to make a contribution using cash or check (made payable to “Give Kids The World”), please contact me directly. Every dollar you donate goes directly to this organization. Not even a penny is used to offset any of my expenses or race entry fees – I am paying all of them myself.

Whether or not you choose to contribute, you can follow my progress next week – I’ll be posting live in-race updates on Twitter (@DopeyForTheKids). 

No comments:

Post a Comment