Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Golden Ticket

It’s no surprise that the most exclusive events at Walt Disney World tend to have the highest demand, and on race weekend, there’s no tougher ticket than the runDisney Meet-Up.

These events fill up in literally just a few minutes after they’re announced. To get in requires stalking the runDisney Twitter Feed and Disney Parks Blog in the weeks leading up to a race. Shortly before they begin taking RSVPs (sometimes a day or two prior, sometimes just an hour or two) they’ll put out a little teaser indicating that something’s coming. Then with a post to their blog, they take RSVPs on a first-come, first-served basis.

Since I was going to be in Orlando a couple of days before the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend, I knew I’d have time in my schedule to participate in the runDisney Meet-Up – but first, I’d have to get in.


I had a plan to stalk the site and get my RSVP in as soon as the announcement was made. But my plans were thwarted when Disney put out the call for RSVPs a week earlier than expected. I just happened to notice the announcement three minutes after it was posted. I quickly fired off my email, crossed my fingers and waited to find out if I got a golden ticket. Several hours later I got the email confirming that I was one of the lucky 125 people selected to participate. 

Here’s what I have to look forward to on Thursday night:
  • This awesome (and exclusive) runDisney Meet-Up Tech Tee
  • Complimentary admission and parking at Epcot (not a big deal for me since I have an Annual Pass)
  • A special viewing of IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth, the nightly lights, laser and fireworks show
  • A tasting of selected food and beverage items good for fueling up before a race
  • Expert advice from running professional in the Speaker Series
  • A two-mile run around Epcot led by Olympic marathoner and official runDisney training consultant, Jeff Galloway
In addition to live-tweeting portions of the event (be sure to follow me at @DopeyForTheKids) I’ll share a full report of the evening afterwards. It’s the first ever nighttime runDisney Meet-Up, and I feel as lucky as Charlie Bucket to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment